We all know that pumpkins are great for carving, but did you know they can also be used to make your skin glow? Pumpkin contains vitamins A, B6, C, E, and K, beta-carotene, essential fatty acids, potassium, zinc, copper, anti-inflammatories, and antioxidants. So the next time you’re cooking up some pumpkin recipes, don’t forget to use it to make a pumpkin facial mask too!
Pumpkin is an AMAZING ingredient for skincare that improves skin elasticity, hydrates, moisturizes, and helps to fight off acne. Pumpkin is not only healthy when applied to the skin. It’s beneficial to eat, helping maintain a regular heartbeat and lowering blood pressure. Even the seeds are a delicious and healthy snack loaded with protein, fiber, and other minerals. In this article, we’ll cover the skincare benefits of pumpkin, the various options of pumpkin you can use, and some DIY pumpkin facial recipes you can whip up at home.
Let’s start with the benefits that pumpkin provides. Here are eleven benefits of using pumpkin on your skin:
- Pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A, which promotes healthy skin cells which can help to improve the appearance of your skin and the elasticity of the skin;
- Pumpkin contains vitamin C and antioxidants that are effective at fighting free radicals. Vitamin C also promotes healthy skin cells;
- The antioxidants in pumpkin help to fight acne breakouts, protect against environmental damage and the signs of aging;
- Pumpkins contain potassium, an essential nutrient for healthy hair growth;
- The beta-carotene found in pumpkin helps reduce the risk of cancerous cells growing on your skin, helps protect skin from UV damage, and helps fight acne-causing bacteria;
- Pumpkin also has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe irritated skin;
- Are you dealing with an acne breakout or a sunburn? Apply some pumpkin. It reduces redness from pimples and sunburns;
- The high water content combined with essential fatty acids and vitamins C and E found in pumpkin act as a natural moisturizer for dry skin;
- Pumpkin can be mixed with other ingredients to create a face mask that will exfoliate the skin and remove blackheads;
- Pumpkins have been shown to be an effective treatment for eczema because it contains high levels of zinc;
- Along with all these benefits, pumpkin is inexpensive and tastes delicious! You might want to make some pies or muffins too!
Picking the Right Pumpkin
Pumpkin is readily available year-round despite it being thought of as a fall specialty. Like most anything, raw ingredients that haven’t been processed provide the best health benefits. As foods are processed or cooked, they lose some of their health benefits. That said, if you can get your hands on a fresh pumpkin, that is the best option.
The type of pumpkin you want is a baking pumpkin, also known as a pie pumpkin, which looks similar to a jack-o-lantern but only smaller. White and miniature pumpkins are better for decoration. Technically you could use a giant pumpkin, but we’re talking about using this for a facial, not to take a bath in, so unless you plan to make a batch to give away, there’s no way you’d want to use a giant pumpkin. Beta-carotene gives pumpkins their orange color, so selecting a pumpkin that’s a lovely, vibrant orange is an indicator that the pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene. Choose an organic canned pumpkin as a backup option if you can’t get your hands on a fresh pumpkin.
On a side note, BEWARE of pumpkin-flavored foods and drinks. In the fall season, it may be a tradition to rush out to buy your favorite pumpkin latte or pumpkin muffins, but most “pumpkin” items use artificial(pumpkin pie spice) flavoring that provides none of the health benefits that actual pumpkin offers.
Now let’s get to the fun part, how you can whip up some pumpkin skincare products at home with ease. Let’s start with a fantastic pumpkin base that you can then use to customize your preferred recipe.
How to Prepare a DIY Pumpkin Facial
STEP ONE: Preparing the Pumpkin (if using canned, skip to step two)
- Wash the pumpkin thoroughly. DO NOT remove the skin. TIP: preheat the oven to 325ºF while you’re prepping the pumpkin)
- Cut the pumpkin in half or quarters.
- Remove the seeds using a spoon(reserve them if you want to bake them and make a healthy snack for later)
- Continue to cut the pumpkin up into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the cubes in a baking pan and add a little bit of water. Cover the pan with foil.
STEP TWO: Cook the Pumpkin
We recommend baking the pumpkin rather than boiling, as baking the pumpkin retains more nutrients, and baking also avoids additional water content. We’re not cooking the pumpkin to make a pie, just to soften it a bit before we puree it.
- Place the covered baking pan in the oven that is preheated to 325ºF
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until soft enough to pierce with a fork. It should take some force to pierce the pumpkin, you don’t want it to be too soft or mushy. Once done, remove from oven.
- Let cool for 15 minutes or longer so that you can easily handle the pumpkin without burning yourself.
- Put the pumpkin chunks in a blender or food processor and blend well. Once the pumpkin is smooth, you’re ready to use it for a facial or body application.
STEP THREE: Prepare Your Pumpkin Facial
While you can simply apply the pumpkin puree as is and enjoy many benefits, we recommend combining the pumpkin with other ingredients to achieve better results. What ingredients you select is up to you, we’ve provided three options based on skin type that will help you discover your perfect blend.
TIP: While the recipes can be stored in a refrigerator for up to a month, we recommend distributing the blend into an ice cube tray so you can freeze any leftovers. When ready to use, simply thaw a cube or two in a covered bowl in the refrigerator and apply once fully thawed. When freezing, you can use the mixture for up to 3 months.
Three Easy DIY Pumpkin Facial Recipes
Pumpkin Facial for Oily Skin:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
Blend all ingredients well using a mixer, food processor, or blender.
Apply it to your entire face and leave it for twenty minutes before rinsing and patting dry.
Dry Skin Pumpkin Facial:
- 1 Green Apple
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- Puree the apple in a blender or food processor.
- Add all other ingredients to the blender and mix well
Lather it on your face and neck, being careful to avoid the eye area. Keep the mask on for 15 minutes before rinsing and patting your face dry.
All-Purpose Pumpkin Facial:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup Ground Almond
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Combine all ingredients and blend well.
Apply to the entire face and allow to remain for up to 20 minutes. Wash the mask off with warm water and dab dry with a washcloth.
Ingredients you can add to your Pumpkin Facial Recipes and their benefits:
- Honey – Deep skin moisturizer, pore cleanser, fights acne, lightens scars, gently exfoliates, helps with sunburn, reverses aging, and adds a natural glow to your skin
- Greek Yogurt – Prevents dry skin, evens color, protects from UV damage, increases elasticity, reduces fine lines & wrinkles, brightens skin, and helps fight acne.
- Apple Puree – Evens skin color, improves complexion, hydrates, protects from UV damage, fights acne, reduces under-eye puffiness and dark spots
- Ground Almonds or Almond Meal – Naturally exfoliates, lightens skin tone, reduces fine lines & wrinkles, and helps fights acne, blackheads, and whiteheads.
- EVOO(Extra Virgin Olive Oil) – Natural antibacterial, moisturizes, anti-aging properties, increases collagen, helps fight acne
Like the seasons, our skin is constantly changing, which means we need to keep up with the latest skin care treatments. To help you keep up with the latest skincare tips, subscribe to our newsletter and this blog. If you are looking for medical quality skincare treatments at an affordable price, look no further than Flawless Medspa. We have many years of experience working on all types of patients and can help you find a solution tailored specifically to your needs. Whether it’s acne or wrinkles, our team will work together to create a personalized plan just for you! Give us a call today so we can schedule your free consultation appointment!